The Giver by Lois Lowry review

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
read on Kindle

The Giver

I didn't have any expectations of this book - I'd heard about it many times over the years and just never got around to reading it. In honor of Banned Book week I finally decided to give it a try.

It's not a particularly novel plot line as "imagine-the-future" books go. This view embraces 'sameness' and the society has eliminated all emotions, conflict, books (gasp!), and lives are very routine and prescribed. The unfolding of the rules of this world and society are interesting but not earth shatteringly original.  The main surprise for me was to discover (fairly late in the book) that they didn't see in color.  No color!

As 12 year old Jonah is preparing for adulthood, he is assigned to be the new Receiver of Memory and begins to receive all the memories from generations past. Not surprisingly, he becomes more disenchanted with life as his community lives it.  After experiencing the memory of the horror of war but also the joy of love, he feels compelled to change his world.

I found the book very readable, even enjoyable. It's a good YA read with lots of discussion points about feelings and other aspects of life we take for granted. My only quibble is I didn't love the ending- it seemed very abrupt.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. great review! it shows me what I am getting into more. I appreciate you sending me the link. I think this would be one that I would enjoy reading with a group of teens, to get their perspective. if only I had the opportunity! =D

    ReplyDelete