book beginnings

Every Friday Katy at A Few More Pages hosts a meme (weekly 'party') where you can share the first line or two of the book you're reading and what your initial impression of the book was from that line.  Kinda a fun idea so I'll join in....

"Okay, if you'll all just gather around me for a few seconds, I'll give you a wee bit of information about this glorious building in front of you."   is the first line of Now You See Her by Joy Fielding.  I'm not accustomed to having books start with dialog and this was slightly disorienting with no background.  Of course it quickly becomes apparent that a tour guide is speaking, but still.  I didn't love the opening.....

Be sure to get a hint of what other's are reading over at A Few More Pages......

4 comments:

  1. I really like the opening. I have read one of her earlier books. Grand Avenue???? She can take you for a real thrill ride. Yep, I like this opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost imagine the scene in my head in that one line (of course, I don't know which building the guide is talking about, but it must be historical!).

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the opening. I always like being thrown into a situation and then having to figure out what's going on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tour guide just about to tell the group about a building that's probably historical draws me,(the reader) in, so I think it's a good opening sentence. It sounds as if the setting is Scotland or a similar Celtic country because of the word 'wee' in the dialogue.
    (The title makes me think this is a mystery novel, so I would be intrigued and want to read on).

    ReplyDelete